Tuesday, January 1, 2008

2007 Was a Record Year.

It seems like about seven minutes after Christmas, the sounds of the season start sounding like the best of the concluding year. And here are my favorites of 2007. In no particular order except the order that they're on the iTunes mix. If you want to listen to them, visit here. If you want to help the Padrino and his stock, buy them. If you want to read me blab on about the song picks, keep reading.

2007 Was a Year.

1. Come to Me by Koop featuring Yukimi Nagano. Okay, so I said this is in no particular order, but this first ditty is probably my favorite of the year. At least it has been for the last few months. It's what happens when acid jazz and swing get together and have a little electronic baby. Plus Koop. Whom I have luuurved since I met her at the SoHo Grand in 2001. Okay, well sure, I didn't actually meet her; I just heard her on the furnished hotel CD. But still. Listen to it here. Also, I'm not sure why we need MTV anymore when we have YouTube.

2. Valerie by Mark Ronson featuring Amy Winehouse. These two people have been absolute treats for me this year. Delights. In so many ways. And then they go and do a fantastic cover of a song by the Zutons, whom I really just discovered this year. Like the song. Love this version of it. Major love here.

3. Hold On by KT Tunstall. Every song she sings makes me happy. This one is tops right now. It makes me want to be really productive. And to hold on to what I've been given lately. Because she says that a lot. You can hear her say that here.

4. Australia by The Shins. Love them. Always. This song is my fave on the album they put out this year. Which is saying a lot. Listen up here.

5. Momentary Drama by Spain Colored Orange. Okay, this song was not released in 2007, but I played the crap out of it this year. And not just because I spent tons of time with Eric Jackson, the bad ass SCO trumpet player, since I make him cut my hair. Because he's swell. Even if he cut bangs on my head. Punk. If you don't know this band, check them out. They're fantastic. You can find the full version of this song on their website under the about us section. Also I love them on this great Olay ad here. You'll be hearing more from them in the upcoming year. I'm betting.

6. Girlshapedlovedrug by Gomez. Great title. Great vocals. Great beat. Great everything on this one. Check it here.

7. Serious by Richard Hawley. Dude reminds me of Buddy Holly. And this song is so good, there's nothing else to say about it. Except if I had a dollar for every time this song has been played in our house over the last few months, I'd have enough to buy the HcQ that XBox 360 he's been needing. Or something. And you can hear it here.

8. So Long You Fool by Sophie Milman. Her voice is caramel. Melted caramel. Over caramel ice cream. With caramel sprinkles. In a caramel bowl. But she doesn't bring her caramelness to YouTube. Sorry.

9. The Way I Am by Ingrid Michaelson. I discovered this song on sk*rt in June, then it showed up on an Old Navy commercial and maybe Grey's Anatomy and probably in Times Square. I can't keep up, it's so popular with all the cool cos. But I still love it, if only for the way she sings those last seven words here.

10. Falling Slowly by Glen Hansard & Marketa Irglova. The "Once" tune. This song is like potato chips. You can't stop listening to it here. And then you can't get it out of your head for seven months. Also, did you know they are now dating in real life? And he's 37 and she's 19. You go, Glen Hansard.

11. Again & Again by The Bird and the Bee. This song is just the kind of thing I like to listen to you. It puts you in a trance. And makes me think of a vacation. In the winter. But that's just my trance. Listen and see where it takes you here.

12. Fidelity by Regina Spektor. I've been obsessed with her this year like I was with Imogen Heap last year. It's just the sad truth. See?

13. Thinking About You by Ivy. My writing partner bought an album of hers a few years ago solely because she was on the front of it. It seems in this case, you can judge an artist by her cover art. You can hear her here and see her here.

14. Ageless Beauty by Stars. Another trancey song. In a good way. You can hear the trancy-ness here.

15. No One's Going To Love You More Than I Do by Band of Horses. They are my favorite band right now. I'm sure that will change next week, because that's how I egg roll. But still. Right now I want to lap them up with a biscuit. You can listen to the whole thing here.

16. Lake Michigan by Rogue Wave. I've never been to Lake Michigan, but if it's anything like this song, I want to go asap. The harmonies on this one are suh-wheat. This band reminds me of stuff I listened to in college...the Trashcan Sinatras, The Samples, the like. However, actually, I'm not enough of a music geek to know how their stylings are inspired by early traces of blah blah and whatever. So I'll just leave it at I like it. And you can hear why here.

17. 1234 by Feist. Listened to this all summer. Mainly I just want the blue sequined outfit she wore in her one-shot video. But yeah, the song's okay too.

18. World Spins Madly On by The Weepies. This singing songwriting duo live together. Recorded this album in their house. And just had a baby there too. It all feels very warm and cozy. Like time has stopped in this cottage of goodness. And the world spins madly on. Here.

19. Stay Awake by The Innocence Mission. Another husband and wife team, here. I found this song when I was reviewing "Spare the Rock" for Cool Mom Picks. Of course it was originally in Mary Poppins. And I found it was one of the only lullabies I knew when I was up in the middle of the night early on with the Hurricane. Wracking my sleepy brain for any appropriate song to sing. I found this to be both of our favorites. You can also listen to it here.

Also these didn't make the iTunes cut because Apple can't make money off them. Or something.

What Will You Do (When the Money Goes) by Milburn. I discovered this band and this song when I was snooping through the HcQ's music collection looking for music to steal. I mean, it's not really stealing if someone in your family already bought it, right? After all, if you use some, let's say, ketchup in your own refrigerator that someone else in your family purchased, that's totally legal. Right? It's like that. And it's here.

Mornings Eleven by The Magic Numbers. Okay, I know this song came out in 2005. But I just heard it for the first time this year. And I've played the crap out of it. You can listen to it here.

Sparrow by Scattered Trees. This is the most beautiful song I can think of right now. Listen to it here. It reminds me of our little Hurricane. I always think of him as a sparrow that God's watching over. Thank God. The kid needs to be under heavy heavenly surveillance. Because he's dangerous.

And the whole album of In Rainbows by Radiohead. But actually, I'd never put this on a mix, because it should be listened to separately. With gin. I don't think it plays well with others. Not that this is a good thing. Nor a bad thing. It just is.

So. That's it. My faves of 2007.

And so here's to 2008. (GO O8!) Best to all of yous from the Quesos. Happy New Year y'all.

The Hurricane, me, and the HcQ. NYE '07 (The HcQ is behind the camera.)

No comments:

Post a Comment