Monday, January 5, 2009

Reality Check. I need to read more.

I traded in my books for a laptop. Literally. Figuratively. Compulsively. Without really thinking about it or meaning to, sometime over the last two years I began to spend all my reading time online. Reading online. But still.

This is a surprise from someone who once broke up with a cute boy about 2 minutes after he said, "Books are over. Reading fiction is a waste of time." Oh yes I did.

And I'm here to say, even though it may have seemed so in my own household, books are so not over. Not so much (now that phrase is over, according to this 2009 list of "Banished" words.) But books, no. If they ever went away for some reason, they're back.

Just like depressions are good for design, they're great for the permanent art form of alibris.

Seriously.

Mark my words. 2009 is going to be the year of the book. Watch for it.

(Also this book by Guy Kawasaki. It's awesome. Even if it's not fiction. In fact, it's not fiction at all. And in this case, that's what makes it great. Check it out.)

(Double also, I noticed that Monica has resolved to read more this year. And I noticed this on the Mom2summit flickr feed. They're having a big contest over the next 10 days. If you post a photo representation of your resolution, you're entered to win a free pass to the Mom2Summit in Houston in February. I'll be posting resolution shots everyday. I have 12 after all.)

No comments:

Post a Comment