Sunday, September 30, 2007

The Longest Happy Hour Ever.

So Friday around four I was looking forward to an open empty weekend when I got an email from Gwen Bell, a fantastic sk*rty sk*rt whom I met in July in Chicago. She said she was going to be in town for a Startup Weekend and that they were kicking it off in an hour at a happy hour, which just so happened to be taking place in a pub across the street from my office.

Sprawling city of 3 million, and they were literally right across the street. Go figure. And go I went.

I thought I'd pop in, stay for a tiny bit, go home, get on with my life. But what I walked into was not what I expected. Because I walked into a business meeting. A three day business meeting.

It's a long story, but to get free beer, you had to pitch a business idea. I pitched. And they voted for my idea. So I spent the weekend meeting some truly talented, fascinating people.

This bloggity blog blog world takes you places you never expected. Places like business meetings. Really fun ones. No, really.


Even the Hurricane Showed Up.


I didn't really stay for the whole thing, but enough to get really excited about the product.

Lots of people talked about it.

Someone even wrote a song about it. (And it's true, there was plenty of yoga.)

It was completely bizarre and really cool.

I have to say, if they are holding a Startup Weekend in a city (or pub) near you, you should give some serious thought about showing up. At least for the free beer.

*Oh, also, I got bangs. But that's an entirely different post.

No comments:

Post a Comment