Sunday, September 9, 2007

In With the New.


I spent most of Saturday packing away the last two years. More specifically, six giant plastic bins and three canvas bags full of clothes, toys, bibs, blankets, rattles, car seat covers and carriers.

In other words, the Hurricane’s babyhood.

I was so tunnel-vision focused on this task… getting it gathered, sorted, and piled for redistribution…that I fell into that middle school syndrome. You know, where you forget that the whole world isn’t experiencing exactly the same thing you are at any given moment.

This occurred to me as I was standing in the grocery line a few hours later and received a call from a number I didn't recognize. I answered it, and on the other end people were screaming and a friend of mine was (very excitedly) saying something about being a few feet away from Matthew McConaughey. And I thought. Wow. Not everyone is cleaning and going to the grocery store today. For some reason this fact reminded me that I needed to call my friend who, around here, goes by the name Super Zoe.

If you read the Queso very often, more specifically, the Queso comments very often, then surely you’re familiar. Besides being a professional blog commenter, Super Zoe is a wonderful person, former teacher, and current curriculum expert. Also, she hands-down knows more about fashion that anyone else in the universe. Plus lots of other stuff too. And she’s a great friend. And I owed her a phone call. So as I was packing up the car with groceries, I dialed her number. And she answered without saying hello. Instead, she started with maybe the best greeting ever…
SZ: I should warn you, I’m drunk.

GcQ: Well hello. That’s an interesting way to answer the phone.

SZ: I’m just saying. At least everyone around me is telling me I’m drunk. So I must be. I’m at a party. And I just want to warn you in case you’re thinking you’re having a regular coherent conversation with me. Because you’re not.

GcQ: Oh. Okay, well should I call back later?

SZ: No. Now’s a good time. I just wanted to warn you.
And then we had a hilarious and delightful catch up, where at one point she began to chastise me because I haven’t been posting oh so much on the Queso and on Cool Stuff and definitely not on Hurricane Tracking. Specifically I believe her issue was with the lack of Hurricane Tracking posts (because seriously, there really can never be enough Hurricane sightings).

But I got the gist on all. And I really agree with her. I’ve seriously been halfassing the posts lately. And I hate that. Plus, the banner keeps disappearing. Weird.

So this September, I’m bringing Queso back. Yeah. I’ll be posting here (at least) every Monday, Wednesday and Friday. And I’ll be posting at Cool Stuff (and yes, at Hurricane Tracking) every weekday. Now that school is in session and McConaughey is back at football games, I need to get back in the rhythm of things. Plus, what the heck else do I have to do after eight when the Hurricane’s nestled all snug in his bed?

And speaking of beds, along with sorting through all things baby blue and packing up and passing on my little love’s babyhood, we’re making some changes around Casa con Queso. For starters, we’re (finally!) starting to think about moving our always-on-11, full-steam-ahead Hurricane to a little boy bed. Read: no rails to keep him in. Imagine: a Hurricane roaming the house at night to raid the fridge for Jello. I’m just saying. I’ll have plenty to blog about. Plus, I will no longer be sleeping.

No comments:

Post a Comment